Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Oops...

It has recently become obvious to me a hallmark of adulthood is figuring out how to get yourself out of trouble.

Case in point:

IMG_1459

See those keys sitting on the seat while Jared and I are on the outside? Yep, talk about trouble. (Side note: it makes me laugh Jared is trying to find help while I'm taking a picture haha! The situation was so absurd, I just had to document it). I have a real attraction for car trouble, let me tell you (see here!).

I drive a 2005 Honda Civic named Teddy (I got him in high school, cut me a break!) and I think Teddy is the last car on earth with manual locks. Since it's much easier than normal for me to lock my keys in the car, I have always been very cognizant of knowing where my keys are when I lock my car. In fact, this is the first time in 10 plus years I have locked my keys in the car.

Jared and I were grocery shopping and leaving the building when I realized I couldn't find my keys. Sure enough, there they were lying on the seat in plain sight. We weren't really sure what to do. Breaking the window sounded violent and expensive, and we had no tools to break in. So we decided to see if someone would come pick us up. But who? Most of the people we know have kids and/or don't live in the area, and we felt bad inconveniencing anyone.

Finally I decided to call my friend Mary from church. Her husband Jeff answered the phone. They were at Walmart shopping with their children. I quickly explained the situation and apologized for calling, because it sounded like they were busy. I did not expect Mary and Jeff to drop everything to help us, because it was a lot to ask. Over my protests, Jeff said he and Mary had a plan. He would come pick us up, no problem, and take us back to our apartment. I was stunned. How kind is that?

I also called our apartment complex and asked them to unlock our apartment for us, since of course our house key was with the car key...no problem. The office took care of it right away. As Jared and I waited for Jeff, I thought this situation could have been so much worse! We could have known no one to call. This could have happened after our apartment complex office closed, and then how would we get inside the apartment? I guess we could have called Pop a Lock and hoped a maintenance emergency call would get someone to unlock the door. Even Jared, who could have been really angry at me, took it all in stride.

I had a moment of clarity standing there. God makes provisions for us in all circumstances, if we have the eyes to see. Yes, locking my keys in the car was a mistake, but we had kind friends, good (for the circumstance) timing and a wonderful apartment complex office on our side. I think this was a timely lesson, especially after all the sadness in our lives the past several months. I'm going to start looking for those provisions!