Thursday, November 12, 2015

Fallish Comfort Food

Falls

One thing this native Texan loves about Florida? THE WEATHER! Besides the humidity, I have never lived in a place with such killer weather. Case in point: it feels like spring here rather than fall, or even almost winter. We have had temperatures in the mid-70's or low 80's for awhile now, and I am loving every minute. If I'm not spoiled by this weather, I don't know what I am!

Since there hasn't been a real "fall" season here yet, I'm celebrating "Fallish" instead. How do I like to celebrate Fallish? By doing a lot of regular fall activities like eating comfort food. I've been pulling a lot of soups out of my recipe book lately and trying others I find online.

My favorite soup right now comes from one of my ABSOLUTE favorite food blogs, Gimme Some Oven. I'm very picky when it comes to trying new recipes because I like my food very flavorful, with lots of spices. I can generally read a recipe and tell if the food is going to be bland or not. The thing I like best about Gimme Some Oven is the recipes often call for very fresh ingredients or interesting techniques I haven't heard of before. 

Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
Via

I love to use the slow cooker in the fall, especially on Sundays. I'll go to church, come home and fill my slow cooker with goodies, then take a nap : ) This particular recipe intrigued me because it called for seasoning the soup by putting a dried chile on top of the ingredients while they cooked. I was skeptical the dried chile would add flavor that way, but it did! The resulting soup was tasty.

One of my two favorite recipes from this blog, and the one I've really been enjoying during this Fallish season, is Cheesy Enchilada Soup.


Cheesy Enchilada Soup
Via
Have you ever had the enchilada soup from Chili's? I originally tried this recipe because I LOVE the enchilada soup at Chili's, and wanted to make it at home. I tried one other recipe before which turned out horribly. What intrigued me about this recipe is the use of homemade enchilada sauce (really easy to make, and tastes so much better than any canned sauce, particularly if you use good chile powder) and masa harina. 

Masa harina is corn flour, basically a finely ground cornmeal. It gives the soup the corn tortilla flavor you would normally get from a pan of enchiladas. I mean, isn't that genius??? If you love enchiladas, but don't like the assembly, give this soup a try.

One tip: this recipe calls for chicken. I usually roast two chicken breasts with olive oil, salt and pepper at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Gives you perfect roast chicken for other recipes every time! I learned that foundational recipe from Ina Garten : )

What's your favorite Fallish food?