Monday, September 1, 2014

Monogrammed Wood Slices

This past week, my mom flew in from Houston to visit Jared and me in our new Florida home. Since she was going to be here for about a week, I decided we needed a fun craft to do. I was inspired by several posts in the blogosphere and my love of all things monogrammed to create this craft. Check out the final product!


Cute, right? I am loving the combination of rustic and classic lately as well, so I thought the wood slice would be the perfect medium for the monogram. It actually looks even better in person. Let's get started with the tutorial.

Note: this tutorial will feature different initials from mine...so don't let that confuse you!

Materials

  • Monogram. I'll talk more about this below!
  • Wood slice. I purchased mine in size large from Michael's.
  • Small detail brush(es). I didn't have anything like this, so I purchased a set by Martha Stewart from Michael's.
  • Craft paint. I've heard great things about Martha Stewart's craft paint line, so I took this opportunity to try it out. I also purchased the paint at Michael's.
  • Pencil
  • Pen
  • Scissors
  • Spray polycrylic (optional)

Process

  1. Create your monogram however you like. I used this tutorial and found it very simple to follow. The only change I made was to remove the fill from my letters so I was left only with outlines. (See opening graphic!). This allowed me to save printer ink and made tracing the letters on the wood slice much easier. 

  2. I did increase the letter sizes to 400 for the middle initial, and 300 for the other two letters. This made the perfect sized monogram for the large wood slice.
  3. Print!
  4. Turn over the monogram and using the pencil, scribble heavily over the outline. The pencil does not have to be solid, but it needs to fully cover the letter outlines. This will allow you to transfer the monogram to the wood slice.

  5. Cover with Pencil Edited
  6. Trim the excess paper from the monogram. This will help with placement.

  7. Cut Out Monogram Edited
  8. Turn the monogram back over to the printed side and center it on the wood slice.

  9. Center on Wood Slice Edited
  10. Using the pen, firmly trace over the letter outlines. It does not have to be perfect, but make your tracing as accurate as possible.
  11. You have successfully transferred your monogram!
    Final Tracing Edited
    Now paint however you like. I found slow and steady strokes with a small brush allowed me to get smooth lines. Don't be afraid to use more paint if you need to. The wood will absorb more paint than you think!
  12. After allowing your project to dry overnight, spray with polycrylic if you like to seal the paint.
  13. Enjoy!

Are you as obsessed with monograms as I am?