Monday, July 7, 2014

Starbucks on the Cheap!


During the summer, I crave Passionfruit Tea Lemonades and Lemon Loaf from Starbucks. These treats are just so refreshing after a long, hot day in the Florida humidity! No exaggeration when I say every night, I have to talk myself out of driving to Starbucks. Sadly (or happily on the occasions I do indulge), we have a drive-through Starbucks right down the road, so my nightly pep talk is a hard one. Since Jared and I are transitioning to a new job, we are also on a budget!

So I had to figure out a way to get Starbucks on the cheap.

Fortunately, there are people out there who are GENIUSES when it comes to copycat recipes. I had conveniently already pinned two recipes on Pinterest to satisfy my cravings. I decided right then, I had to give it a try.

First up...

Starbucks Passionfruit Tea Lemonade


Starbucks passion tea lemonade

Bonnie at The Pin Junkie created this copycat recipe. I encourage you to try it! I followed her recipe exactly and I can confirm, it tasted exactly like my favorite summertime beverage! I also liked I could put less ice in my drink. I feel like they gip you at Starbucks sometimes with the amount of ice they use...

The secret is buying the Tazo Passion tea bags, which is the Starbucks brand of tea. Bonnie got the proportions just right in her recipe, which is very important when mixing a tea drink!

Starbucks Lemon Loaf


Starbucks Lemon Loaf

Joy at Yesterfood created this copycat recipe. My final result, which I featured in my title picture, turned out delicious. It didn't taste exactly like the original because the glaze/icing is much thinner in the copycat recipe. Also, the copycat recipe tells you to pour the wet ingredients into the dry, which I think led me to over mix my batter (I admit total user error here). In the future, I think I will follow standard baking procedure and mix the dry ingredients into the wet in batches.

BUT, with that being said, the recipe was a winner. I have been enjoying the lemon loaf immensely with my coffee the past couple of mornings.

Savings

So the most-important question for getting Starbucks on the cheap: was it really cheaper to make my own treats? Let's compare...

Passionfruit Tea Lemonade


At Starbucks - $4.25 for the largest size, which I always get because there's so much ice!!!

Copycat - $6.95 for 15 Passion tea bags and $3.99 for the pound of lemons I needed to make the lemonade. I had the rest of the ingredients already. With the tea I bought, I should be able to make 15 servings using one bag per drink as Bonnie recommends in her recipe.

Total for 15 copycat servings...$10.94. 

If I were to go to Starbucks 15 times, my cost would be $63.75. 

Total savings...$52.81

Lemon Loaf


At Starbucks - $2 for a slice.

Copycat - $1.29 for baking soda, $1.59 for baking powder, $3.65 for eggs (Jared is picky about eggs, so I have to buy the organic ones), and $1.69 for lemon extract. I used lemon juice from the lemons I already bought. I had the rest of the ingredients already.

Total for 15+ servings...$8.22

If I were to go to Starbucks for a slice of lemon loaf 15 times, my cost would be $30.

Total savings...$21.78

OVERALL SAVINGS...$74.59!!!

I would say it was definitely worth it. Now if you just want to indulge occasionally, making your own Starbucks may not be worth it. But for someone like me who has constant cravings, this just made much more sense.

Now go save you some money!!!


2 comments:

  1. This is a great way to save money! I love my Starbucks drinks but rarely buy their treats because they are so pricy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy!! I don't go to Starbucks because I don't like coffee, but I keep getting reminded that they have more than coffee.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your story!