Friday, July 18, 2014

One Thing I Will Never Skimp On...


For much of my life, I hated the taste of coffee.

Whenever my dad would take me to Starbucks to get his nonfat quad venti latte, I would want to gag. How could he possibly enjoy the bitterness??? I would order the beverage with as little coffee as possible, usually a frappucino. My dad almost wouldn't buy it for me on principle. We were at a coffee shop, after all.

When I got to college, I decided I better start drinking coffee. It just seemed like the adult thing to do. Plus, since college social life usually starts after 9 p.m., I needed the caffeine to keep me going.

At first, I had to put more cream and sugar in it than coffee just to choke the concoction down. But as I drank more coffee, my taste buds got acclimated. I developed a taste for it. Then I needed it to pleasantly start my day, or risk a nasty caffeine headache. Soon, I had more coffee than cream and sugar in my cup. Once you develop a taste for things like coffee, you can start developing your palate. You can taste the variations between different types and brands of coffee.

When Jared and I first got married, we decided to put ourselves on a budget. Very responsible, no? At the time, we were buying bags of Starbucks coffee to make at home. I figured we could wisely save some money and buy a canister of Folgers. After all, it's all coffee, right?

Uh, no. Try dirty water!

I hope I don't offend anyone who really likes Folgers, but no amount of coffee I used would make the end product taste good. My morning cup of joe tasted weak and cheap. Jared agreed with me. So we made a pact: we might be on a budget, but we're not skimping on coffee! When you start every morning with coffee, it just makes sense to buy the good stuff.

Now we go to Starbucks and have them fresh grind beans for us. My dad has a fancy coffee maker which grinds beans fresh for every pot, but I'm not to that level yet : )

What's something you will NEVER skimp on? Share below!