Monday, July 21, 2014

4 Rules of Big, Bold Room Design

Color Room Design Rules

This post is inspired by a challenge from Chairish, an online marketplace for vintage furniture. Chairish challenged me to design a room using one of their pieces and lots of color! No compensation was received for this post.

Remember when I left all my furniture behind during the move from Texas to Florida? Well, my lack of furniture has left my apartment looking barren, but it has been an excellent opportunity to play with design.

I love combining all different styles, prints and color. The trick is figuring out how to make the design cohesive. The best way I have found to explore options is to create a style board using a Web site like Polyvore. (Never used Polyvore before? Check out my tutorial here!).

Let's start with this chair, courtesy of Chairish. Want to see more accent pieces from Chairish? Click here!


I have a thing for blue and geometric prints right now. How could you not with all the beautiful lattice prints showing up on just about everything these days? Let's explore some ways to incorporate such a fun chair into a room.

Anchor with a Large, Neutral Piece

Whenever I visualize a room, I usually like to start with the largest piece of furniture first and build around it. For a living room, this is typically the sofa. Of course you can start with a bold, beautiful sofa, but in my opinion, this makes accessorizing much more difficult. These days, it is much easier to find fun accent pieces than basic pieces such as sofas.

Pull Inspiration Colors and Shapes Out of a Piece

The most foolproof way to accessorize? Use colors and shapes already in the inspiration piece! Our Chairish piece has green buttons in the tufting, so it would be fun to incorporate that color in our design board. We could also use pieces with square lines to echo the geometric print of the chair.

Balance with Bling

My favorite way to add interest is to use metallics such as silver and gold in accessories like side tables and knick knacks. Metallics bring such elegance and interest to spaces, and they go with just about anything.

Use Throw Pillows

Not feeling too adventuresome? Throw pillows are the easiest way to add visual interest. You can also use throw pillows to echo a pattern already in the room, which gives additional balance.

Using our rules, let's see how the design board turned out!


Bold, Colorful Room Design

So what do you think? As a visual person, I'm all about balance in a room. I don't want to get too crazy with color even though I love it. Thanks to Chairish for this challenge!

Will you be incorporating some bold, colorful design into your home?