Friday, June 13, 2014

Let Me Tell You About...the Lesson I Learned from Moving


The Walkers are on the road to Florida! I was asked repeatedly to blog about our moving adventures on the way to Florida, so here I am in a hotel in Shreveport, Louisiana, with an update.

There are a lot of things to dislike about moving. The expense. The time it requires. The amount of stuff you somehow crammed into a one-bedroom apartment. Leaving friends and family. But I also surprisingly learned a very important lesson about the power of helping others.

One of the most precious gifts I have ever received was the outpouring of love for my little family the past two weeks. For one thing, my blogger friends have been so encouraging with their well-wishes and advice on what I should see in my new state. Thanks to you all!

My former coworkers hosted a going-away party for me, including gifts! I had no idea I would receive gifts. The time and thought put into each one made me realize how much I am loved. Jared and I had two friends who came over to our house last night and helped pack up our MOUNTAIN of stuff. Even people who saved boxes for me or simply asked how they could help touched my heart so deeply. 

I cannot forget my family in this either. My in-laws Cindy and Richard are caravanning with us from Lubbock to Florida. My parents contributed financially to our moving fund, because moving across country is not cheap!!! My brother David took all our furniture. Even though he got free stuff, he still did me a BIG favor. My sister Annabeth helped pack some yesterday as well after I took her to New Student Orientation at Texas Tech. This past weekend when Jared and I were in Houston for Annabeth's high school graduation, my family surrounded me with their prayers and encouragement.

Above all, I have learned a very important lesson through moving. I pride myself on being a helper to others. I became an advisor, after all, to use my experience to make other's lives easier. But for some reason, it is very difficult for me to ask others for help. I think it comes down to a matter of pride. I think I should be able to carry everyone's load. The thing is, no one asked me to do that! In this season when I cannot physically, emotionally, mentally or financially overcome a cross-country move, I am relieved to have the opportunity to ask for help.

So let me ask you: do you need to ask for help from your loved ones? Learn from my moving lesson!