Friday, June 6, 2014

Goodbye, but Not Farewell, Texas

This is my last full week in Texas, y'all, and I'm feeling a little nostalgic. I know Florida will hold many new experiences and many new, wonderful people for me to meet, but it's not my home state. I have lived my whole life here and most of my family is here, so Texas holds a very special place in my heart. As I prepare to move next week, here are some things I will miss about the Lone Star State:

Mexican and Tex Mex Food

Tex Mex and Mexican Food
Via
Texans have a bad reputation for thinking Tex Mex is traditional Mexican food, but believe me, I know the the difference. And I will miss both. Now just like with any cuisine, there are good and bad versions. Think Chinese buffet and authentic Chinese restaurant. Bad Tex Mex is usually smothered in yellow cheese. If your food comes out more yellow than any other color, you are probably eating bad Tex Mex. The above photo demonstrates the appropriate amount of cheese.

I love spicy Mexican/Tex Mex food. How I will miss it!!!

Driving in Unique Landscapes

Driving West in Texas
Via
I didn't realize this until recently, but driving more than two hours to get somewhere is considered long in other states. In college, I used to drive six hours one way in a weekend to San Antonio when I wanted to see my family. Six hours one way is the longest I will drive in a weekend. Otherwise, it's just not worth it. Jared and I routinely drive three and a half hours to see his parents in Brownwood. This is an easy weekend trip.

When you drive these (apparently) long distances in Texas, you wouldn't believe the variety of landscapes you will cover. The plains are long and unending in West Texas where I live. It looks like you are driving towards the sky. In central Texas, the beautiful Hill Country breaks up your sight lines with trees and craggy limestone. Further south near Houston, the world is flatter, but much greener. I just love seeing so many faces of Texas.

 My Family


But most of all, I'm going to miss these people. My wonderful family, most of whom live in Texas. They are what will keep my heart in Texas forever.

You probably won't see much of me over the next two weeks in the blogosphere, but I will return! Hump Day Happenings will continue as usual, opening every Tuesday at 8 pm CST.

I will write to you soon from Florida!