Thursday, June 26, 2014

Expectations and Best Laid Plans


A big move gives you a lot of time to think, I have found. When you don't work, you have the opportunity to examine your goals and where you want to go from here. One thought I have been turning over and over in my mind is expectations and best laid plans.

You may wonder why my boy dog is lying in a pink bed in the photo above. Well, that is due to expectations and best laid plans. I have shared before when Jared and I started our search for a pet, we originally wanted a girl dog. I had so many expectations and best laid plans for the little girl I planned to name Ruby, I bought her a pink bed when I found a good deal at TJ Maxx.

Of course, as you know, we brought Henry home instead of Ruby. Looking back, I know Henry is just the dog I needed. But that pink bed sat at the top of my closet for a long time. Every time I went in there, I remembered the directions life can take you despite what you plan. Ultimately, I decided to see if Henry liked the bed. We had bought him a red, boy-appropriate bed previously, and he promptly destroyed it. I decided I preferred Henry destroy the bed rather than store it any longer, so I took it out.

Ironically, Henry LOVES that bed. He doesn't care if it's pink or blue. He loves to put his toys in there and sleep on them like a dragon guarding his treasure. Henry also tries to hide Jared's dirty socks in the crevices. Every time I watch Henry enjoy a nap in his bed, it reminds me how things work out despite your expectations and best laid plans.

I never saw myself moving to Jacksonville, Florida. I never saw myself leaving Texas, for that matter. But obviously, God has a pretty big plan for us if He brought us this far. I just have to trust He has a plan, even if I don't. It's very uncomfortable, y'all, but whenever I doubt, I'm going to look at Henry's pink bed.


3 comments:

  1. This is awesome, Megan! I love how little things like something your dog does can remind you of a bigger lesson that God is teaching you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i never saw my life ending up like it has. i never thought i'd own a dog either!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you could guarantee what would happen in your life, you would miss all the little surprises waiting on the edges, they are the spice of life! :) Love your pup on the pink bed, glad he loves it and you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your story!