Thursday, April 10, 2014

My Appendix: A Rebel Without a Cause

Look of Surprise
Background photo via
2014 has been a year of surprises, y'all. You already know Jared and I are moving to Florida sometime this summer. The latest surprise in the Walker household came from my appendix. It rebelled, and is now gone. Surprise!



Monday morning, I threw up. I didn't think much of this because I had an empty stomach and my allergies have been bad lately with the changing of the seasons. But later that evening when I was going to bed, I started having horrible stomach cramps. Like, the worst period cramps ever. I thought they would go away, but they didn't. The cramps just got worse. I went into the living room where Jared was sitting and started to cry. He said stomach cramps of this magnitude were abnormal, so we should go to the ER. I wasn't too keen on the idea until I threw up again. It was about 10:30 p.m. when we left.



Jared took me to the ER. Fortunately, we didn't have to wait long until I was admitted. The nurse took several vials of blood to run labs. When the doctor arrived, he pressed on my abdomen to find the source of the pain. When he pushed under my belly button, it was excruciating. The doctor ordered a CT scan. Jared and I had to wait for the CT scan for awhile because the ER had other, more critical patients, but finally the technician came to fetch me.



Jared couldn't come into the room with me for the scan, so I was a little uncomfortable. I had to hold my arms up and hold my breath while the machine scanned my insides. It was actually fascinating to watch cross sections of my body appear on the screen. Once the scan was done, they sent it off for evaluation.



More waiting (which seems to be the norm in the ER). Then the surgeon came in for a consult and looked at my scan. He said my appendix was inflamed and needed to be removed. Um...what??? My appendix had never given me any trouble before, but apparently it was a rebel without a cause. The surgeon planned to do my surgery laparoscopically, meaning instead of a normal incision, he would make three small cuts so he could use tiny instruments to extract my appendix.



After the consult, I was admitted into the hospital around 4 a.m. Jared slept on a little couch by my bed. Have I mentioned lately how much I love him? I called my mom not long after because I knew she would want to know. My mom was very dismayed at and shocked. She called back not long after we hung up and said she would be flying in to Lubbock to help with my recovery. I was very excited by this news.



My surgery took place at noon on Tuesday. I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything until after the surgery, so that was a little rough. But they kept me as comfortable as possible in my room. I wasn't scared until they started rolling me towards the OR. There's just something about surgery which scares you, no matter how routine it is. Jared was allowed to stay with me in the prep room, which I was grateful for. The nurse gave me a drug to relax me, and then I don't remember anything until after I woke up in recovery.





The surgeon gave Jared four pictures from my surgery, which I thought was fascinating.

Warning: actual surgery photo ahead!

Appendix surgery photo



Now my chicken cutlet appendix is gone. My abdomen is extremely sore and I can't really walk, but otherwise, I am recovering just fine.



However, I think I am done with surprises this year!

Do you still have your appendix?


6 comments:

  1. Your warning was a little late, lol... it does look like chicken :P I'm glad you got to the hospital that soon, and that you are recovering fine! Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are recovering well! I can see why Jared got to stick around after that first date, he sounds like an amazing guy! Glad you were so well taken care of. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eek! I'm glad you're okay.

    Yes, I still have my appendix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im so glad you are doing much better and that your mom is with you during your recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa girl!When you do something you are all in! Have a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you are recovering well. That is so scary. Glad everything went ok

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your story!