Monday, April 7, 2014

Let Me Tell You About...Why I Gave Him Another Chance


After I shared about my worst first date ever, several people asked me why I gave Jared another chance. So let me finish the story...

The reason why I gave him another chance is because I was smitten. Yes, from the beginning. Let me explain.

After our terrible first date, Jared and I continued to hang out because we had the same group of friends. I was very confused by our first date. He did ask me out, but he never really said anything about going out again. As I got to know Jared, my crush on him deepened. Even though he didn't talk much (and I talk all the time, as I'm sure you can imagine), I really admired the fact he had goals for his life. From the beginning, Jared wanted to be a doctor. I had never met any other guy my age who had such a clear-cut goal for his life. I'm a planner. I LOVE goals. This was very attractive to me.

As you probably guessed from the outcome of our first date, Jared did not feel the same way about me. We had some confusing months of trying to figure out where our relationship stood. In the end, Jared told me he just wanted to be friends. I was crushed. I went home the summer after our freshman year in college with a broken heart.


In retrospect, though this was a very painful time, my summer of healing a broken heart taught me one of the most important lessons of my life: the true meaning of love. Read more about it here.

When Jared and I returned to Lubbock for our sophomore year, I no longer had a broken heart. We did care about each other as friends, so we rebooted our relationship. As Jared became my best friend instead of just a guy I hung out with, I knew I loved him. But if he didn't love me, I wasn't about to tie him down. So I started dating other guys, just to see what was out there.

Jared did NOT like this. He was very jealous of my dates and told me none of them deserved me. I thought this was sweet, but um...HE ONLY WANTED TO BE FRIENDS. Those words rang in my ears every time he talked to me about other guys. But at my dates, the only person I could think about was Jared. No man compared to him in my heart. So I just decided to put it all on the line one last time. I asked Jared to discuss our relationship with me. To his credit, Jared was very open and honest, unlike the first time we went out!
 
It turns out, being friends first was the best thing we could do for our relationship. We enjoyed each other's company and learned how to communicate. Through our friendship, our romance blossomed. Jared finally shared the same feelings for me as I did for him. That night, we started dating and haven't stopped for seven years!

I love this man, y'all. I'm so glad I didn't give up on him.

P.S. Hump Day Happenings opens TOMORROW at 8 p.m. CST! Jenna and I are looking for your favorite EASTER posts of any genre. See you there : )