Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Let Me Tell You About...My Worst First Date EVER


My worst first day EVER occurred my freshman year of college. I had been hanging out with this guy in a group of friends. I'll call him Mr. Date. I thought Mr. Date was cute, but I didn't consider taking it further until he asked me out one Saturday night. Once I started thinking about him as a date, I got more and more excited. I picked out a special outfit for the evening and giggled with my girlfriends in my dorm room until he came to pick me up. My first clue this date wouldn't go well occurred when Mr. Date called me to let me know he had arrived. He didn't walk in to get me.

I tried not to let this detail ruin my evening. He's probably nervous, I reasoned. I did live in a dorm room at the time, after all.

When Mr. Date picked me up, he told me he had agreed to pick up one of our mutual friends at the airport later that evening. Well...ok...the news didn't upset me too much. I figured we would have a lot of fun before then. Mr. Date took me to see The Prestige at the movie theatre. I tried to get him talking, but he stayed quiet most of the time. Mr. Date was a man of few words.

At the theatre, he kept jiggling his leg up and down. I wondered if he was nervous or just really bored. I didn't really know how to act because he wouldn't talk to me!

After the movie, Mr. Date started driving towards my dorm. I was thinking, wait a minute...that's it??? You don't have to be at the airport yet!

I decided to be smooth and say, "are you hungry?"

Mr. Date mumbled a reply, so I said, "we could go get a bite to eat before you head to the airport".

Mr. Date grudgingly agreed and took me to a local burger place, which I actually liked. He still didn't chat no matter how much I flirted or batted my eyelashes. A man of VERY few words...I started to doubt if he was interested in me at all. I mean, he had asked me out, but that's about it. After dinner, we picked up our friend and headed back to my dorm. Mr. Date dropped me off at the sidewalk. He didn't walk me to the door OR say anything remotely romantic like, "I had a great time! Let's do it again".

The worst first date EVER.

Who is this silent Mr. Date you're wondering?


If you're thinking Mr. Date looks familiar, it's because he is actually my husband Jared. Yes, my worst first date EVER was with my husband. Isn't it funny how life works out? 

Tell me about your worst first date!

 

 P.S. Hump Day Happenings opens TONIGHT at 8 p.m. CST! Bring your FAMILY posts of any genre, old or new. Also check out our featured bloggers!



12 comments:

  1. Too funny...so glad you didn't give up on him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny...so glad you didn't give up on him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute story and happy to hear that you gave him another chance. Love that you talked him into a burger too - what was he thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was definitely not expecting it to turn out to be your husband! It was a good thing you gave him a second chance. What a funny story to be able to tell! I love hearing how people met and fell in love. You should definitely do a sequel to this story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess it's a good thing you had a second (and third...) date, then!! I hope he talks more now than he did!! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww this is a really sweet story! Phhhht I had a bunch of bad dates before I met my hubby. I was totally happy being single when we met but now I can't imagine being without him. He's so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute story!

    Sadly, my worst date ever was when I was in high school. I was 18 and the "guy" told me I would have to drive because his car was in the shop. Ok no biggie I get it...plus he was really cute. So I picked him up....he had NO ideas of what to do, kept talking about how roomie my glove compartment was and then I found out he was only 15. Yea...I immediately took him home and told him he better be glad I didn't ask his mom for babysitting money. I can't believe she even let him leave with me!

    Lol there are others...but let's just leave it at that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww. That is too cute. Funny how that happens. First night my hubby and I hung out was at a bar with a bunch of his friends and I ended up having to drive him home (out apartments were 5 minutes from each other). He actually tried to tell me I had 2 options when we got to his place I could come in or we go have another drink at the bar his complex had. Told him he forgot Option 3 he goes in alone and I go home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahaha!! What convinced you to go out with him again?? I've never actually had a first date...I wasn't allowed to go on dates so my first real "date" was with Angel after we'd been engaged for a month or so already. We went to a botanical garden and it wasn't bad at all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, that's funny. I didn't see that one coming! ;) You now have to explain how/why it continued! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haha! The ending was unexpected! That's a great story to tell your grandchildren some day :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had a feeling we were the same person. My worst first date was with my hubby too, it ended with extreme awkwardness. LOL But, a couple of days later we worked it out and it wasn't too much longer that we were engaged.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your story!