Lately, I've been seeing a lot of bloggers posting easy, delicious dinner recipes, and it got me thinking about the recipes I use in my own household. A crowd pleaser for the Walkers is crock pot chicken and sausage gumbo. I have tweaked the original recipe to fit my family's tastes, so feel free to do the same for yours!
Crock Pot Chicken and Sausage GumboAdapted from the "Slow-Cooker Cookbook" by Debbie G. Harman.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 package pre-cooked sausage, cut into 2 in. pieces
- 1/3 c. flour
- Gallon-sized plastic bag
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 c. chopped celery
- 1/2 c. frozen okra - you can buy whole okra or pieces. Buy the pieces for this recipe
- 1 boxed container chicken stock - I use the kind with salt
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Place the sausage in the bottom of the crock pot.
- Place the chicken in the plastic bag and toss with the flour. Put the chicken and leftover flour into the crock pot.
- Add the bell pepper, onion and celery.
- For the okra, you can add it now or add it the last 20 - 30 minutes of cooking while you make the rice. Jared likes the firmer texture, so I do it the latter way.
- Add the garlic, salt, pepper and pepper flakes.
- Pour the chicken stock over the rest of the ingredients. The liquid should mostly cover everything. If it doesn't, add a little water.
- Cook on HIGH 3 - 4 hours or LOW 7 - 8 hours. Serve over rice!