Thursday, March 6, 2014

Ask Away Friday with Jenna from A Savory Feast!


AskAwayFriday

Ask Away Friday is a chance to connect with other bloggers by exchanging 10 questions. Today I am swapping with Jenna from A Savory Feast!



Jenna shares delicious recipes on her blogs. I can't wait to try them all! Jenna is also my partner for Hump Day Happenings, a linky party we're starting next Wednesday!

Let's start Ask Away Friday! Here are the questions Jenna asked me this week:

1. What do you love about blogging?

I love to write. It is how I process information and make sense of my crazy thoughts! I don't get a lot of chances to write in my everyday life, so a blog really appealed to me. I was also missing that human connection in my other social media sites, so I hoped starting a blog would help me connect on a deeper level with people. It has! There's just something wonderful about sharing stories with other people.

2. What was the hardest thing about starting a blog? 

Not knowing anything!!! I had no idea what platform to use or how to market my blog at all. I learned quite a bit by reading other blogs and noticing what I liked about them. I also stumbled across the SITSGirls one day, and the community has opened to door to so much experience and information!

I also had no idea there was an etiquette involved in blogging. If you don't follow the rules, you won't be successful. For example, if someone comments on your blog, you better comment back! Spread the love. That's the main rule : )

3. Where did you grow up? What do you love about that place?

Believe it or not, this is a complicated question. I spent my childhood in Borger, Texas, north of Amarillo. It's a very small town! My favorite thing was my grandparents lived the street over from us. I could visit my Mimi whenever I wanted. My Papa ran the local United Supermarket, and I felt like a celebrity whenever I went in there. All the employees knew me!

I spent my middle school/high school years in Houston, Texas. I loved all the opportunities a big city like Houston gave me and my family. The people there are also so welcoming. My parents moved to San Antonio while I was in college and then BACK to Houston after my wedding, and our Houston friends welcomed them like they had never left.

4. What was your major in college? Are you using that major now?

My major was public relations. I am actually a very unorthodox PR major. I NEVER wanted to work on campaigns, represent a company to the media or plan events. My passion and purpose for choosing PR was to write and build relationships with people.

I used my major quite a lot for three years as an academic advisor. Now I'm a Senior Academic Analyst, which is a fancy term for auditor. I'm the gateway to graduation, basically! There's much less human interaction, but this job appeals to my organization/anal side : )

5. Do you have a job besides blogging?

Yes I do, see above! I also consider one of my responsibilities to be supportive of my husband Jared. He's a fourth year medical student, and needs all the support he can get. Medical school is stressful!

6. What is your favorite place to go on a date with your husband? 

Jared and I love to eat well, so our favorite date night is trying a new restaurant with a good beer selection. This past weekend, we went to a place called Gastro Pub. It felt like a transplant from Austin, not your typical Lubbock restaurant! Jared and I enjoyed it very much.

7. Do you have any pets?

Ohhhhhh yes. I have a toy poodle named Henry. He is almost two years old. I wrote about his latest antics earlier this week!

8. What is your favorite sport to watch?

I actually don't like watching sports, much to Jared's chagrin. Jared likes to watch tennis, football, hockey and even the occasional baseball game. I could care less. The only sports I can get excited about watching is Texas Tech football, because I'm a die-hard Red Raider!

9. Where do you hope to be in 5 years? 

I hope to be settled in a house with my husband and a baby! I'm not sure how I feel about being a stay at home mom yet. I think that is one of the hardest jobs. For now, I would like to keep working. We'll see how I feel when I hold that baby : )

10. What is your favorite book? Why?

Hands down Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. I also love the Game of Thrones series. It's one of those epic stories you can't possibly put down until you know what happens. I was distraught when I finished the last book. I don't think the next one will be published for a few more years!!!

I heard George R. Martin threatens to kill off another character whenever someone asks him when the next book will be ready. I don't want that!!!

Thanks Jenna!

Jenna and I will be linking up with This Momma's Ramblings today. Make sure you head to her Web site to see the other links. And don't forget to see Jenna's answers to my questions!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for doing this with me, Megan! I really enjoyed reading your responses, and I hope you have fun reading mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've never read GOT but have seen it on netflix. i'm hooked, but i'm still a season behind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was born in Austin and spent my early childhood in Garland (outside of Dallas). I've been in Virginia since I was about 10, but I still feel like a Texan at heart! And I root for the Cowboys even though I'm neck deep in Redskins country!

    ReplyDelete
  5. In a time that many don't use their major, it's nice to see someone who does. Being a stay at home mom is different, but thankfully the blogging world has opened it up to a whole new world of people near and far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would totally list Game of Thrones as a favorite TV Series but when I say getting through the book was hard! I actually had notes to the side so I could keep up with who was related to who and such...LOL Still a great book though :D Happy #AskAwayFriday and thanks for joining us again...always love stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I absolutely love Jane Eyre! It has always been one of my favorites. The community that blogging provides is so amazing! Hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your story!