Thursday, March 27, 2014

21 Writing Prompts for Your Blog!

Blog Writing Prompts

One of the hardest parts of blogging is finding material to write about, particularly if you run a lifestyle blog which covers lots of different topics. Several times in this journey, I found myself scratching my head and wondering...

Where can I go for inspiration?

Fortunately, I get many ideas for material by reading other blogs and my own experiences. Now that I have been blogging for more than a few months, I have a fairly good idea about what content my readers want to see. I tried to blog about a current topic once and barely got any response. But there are many tried-and-true topics which always get lots of views and comments!

I want my fellow bloggers to benefit from the meager amount of experience I have. Below, I have listed some writing prompts based on popular topics from The Walker Fireside Chats.

Product Reviews
  • What are your "holy grail" beauty products, the ones you can't live without?
  • Are you obsessed with a type of product such as school supplies? Give your readers recommendations.
  • Are you loving a new product? Share!
Expertise
  • Do people repeatedly ask your advice about something? Do they always want to know where you buy your clothes or how you apply the perfect winged eyeliner? Blog about it!
  • Can you guide readers through a new experience such as traveling on a budget, using PicMonkey, altering CSS on their blog, etc.?
"Best" and "Worst" Experiences

These types of experiences are GREAT to share because it helps your reader see you as an actual person. Here are some examples:
  • Worst hair cut
  • Worst first date
  • Best first date
  • Best thing you ever ate
  • Best vacation you ever took
Holiday or Seasonally-Themed Posts

This is probably a no-brainer, but holiday and seasonally-themed posts are a crowd pleaser.
  • What are your Christmas traditions?
  • What does love mean to you around Valentine's Day?
  • What Thanksgiving recipes always appear on your table?
  • How do you celebrate St. Patrick's Day?
  • What do you like to do for April Fool's Day?
  • What rituals do you have for summer?
  • What means spring to you?
  • Which season is your favorite?
Humorous or Encouraging Topics

Most people read blogs to relax. Often they don't want to read overly serious posts (though there is a place for those). People like to laugh and be happy. Help a reader out!
  • What outrageous thing did your pet do the other day?
  • What are your guilty pleasures or favorite things which always make you happy?
  • Who is your inspiration and why?

I hope these prompts help fill up your editorial calendar. Share some of your favorite writing prompts below!