Friday, February 14, 2014

The Walker's Valentine Tradition


Note from Megan: In honor of Valentine's Day week, I am sharing how love has affected many facets of my life. It's my Learning About Love series.


Don't miss the first installment: Bullies and Beauty, Learning to Love Myself. 
And the second: For the LOVE of Food!


Happy Valentine's Day, y'all!

Whether you celebrate it or not, I hope you take the time to remember all the people you love in your life today.

Jared and I actually have an unusual Valentine's Day tradition. It involves doughnuts, specifically heart-shaped Krispy Kreme doughnuts.

When Jared and I first started dating, one of the things which surprised him the most about me is I do not like doughnuts. Yes, I know. It's weird. I used to love doughnuts when I was a kid, but I fell off the bandwagon sometime in high school. Today, I still enjoy an occasional chocolate-iced doughnut, but in general, I don't like them.

Jared, of course, LOVES doughnuts, especially Krispy Kreme ones. I decided Valentine's Day was the one time of year I could make an exception, especially since Krispy Kreme has heart-shaped doughnuts. I mean, who can say no to something heart-shaped???

So for the past six years or so, I have given Jared heart-shaped Krispy Kreme doughnuts for Valentine's Day. Sometimes I get up extra early so he can eat them for breakfast, and sometimes we go after work and enjoy them together. It's a silly little thing, but one piece of wisdom I have learned in my almost three years of marriage is it's often the little things which keep you connected. Especially when you're married to a medical student!

What are your Valentine's Day traditions?

4 comments:

  1. This is great! I love those traditions that carry on from the early dating days! My boyfriend and I saw an action movie on V-day right before we started dating so now we made a tradition of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing! What has been your favorite action movie?

      Delete
  2. Aww! Now that's a cool tradition, and it's awesome that you've been able to keep it going for so long. We don't have any traditions specific to Valentine's Day. I can totally relate to not liking donuts at all--people always find that so strange but I just don't find them tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're not big celebrators of Valentine's Day, we generally keep it simple. But this tradition makes it really special for us.

      Delete

Thank you for sharing your story!