Monday, February 17, 2014

The Science of Winged Eyeliner - I Got It Down


One thing you should know about me: I LOVE winged eyeliner. I wear it every single day, so I have the application down to a science. Many people have asked me how I do it, especially since my eyeliner stays crisp and does not smear. In response, here is the Science of Winged Eyeliner:

A Few Important Tips

As with any task, it is important to have the right tools to be successful. I use the Revlon Colorstay Eyeliner in Black Brown (which I featured here). This is my secret for eyeliner which doesn't run! Even better, the pencil is self-sharpening, which makes it easy to maintain. Pencils are easier to use than liquid liner, so I don't bother.

Unlike most makeup tutorials, I do my eye makeup first. Pencil eyeliner requires dry skin to apply properly. Especially if you are using liquid foundation, you run the risk of smearing your eyeliner. I have never had problems doing my foundation and blush after eye makeup.

Finally, I do each step on both my eyes. This helps with quality control!

Let's get started!


Step One

Apply eyeshadow base (another key for helping your eyeliner stick). I love Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer in Eden.


Step Two

Apply your eyeshadow. If you need help, check out my EASY eyeshadow formula here. I also curl my lashes.


Step Three

Gently pull the skin next to your eye taunt. This will help us create a smooth line.

Step Four

Use your pencil to draw a SHORT wing from the tip of your lash line towards end of your eyebrow. Start small, we will extend the wing later. The point is to make a template here which will help keep our eyeliner even. When you let go of the skin, the wing will look less extreme, I promise!

Step Five

Starting at the inner corner of your eye, use small strokes at the base of your lashes to draw in the rest of the eyeliner. You will connect the line with the wing at the end.

Step Six

After you line the other eye, lean your head back and check for evenness. This is where you tweak the length of wing on each eye so it's even and come to a little point.

Step Seven - Final Step!

Finish applying your mascara and foundation/blush, then admire the result!


What do you think? Let me know if you try this method!


11 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to learn how to do winged eyeliner! I am pinning this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenna! Let me know how it works for you

      Delete
  2. i love seeing everyone's method for doing this. i think it's been 3 years since i shared how to do it. time to update!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I like seeing how everyone does it as well. This is the one that worked for me!

      Delete
  3. I've never yet tried a pencil eyeliner--I've always liked liquid because of the fact of not sticking a hard pencil in my eye. :P I usually do very slight wings but once in a while I'll go all out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I go a little too extreme with my wings for daytime...but I just love winged eyeliner so much ; )

      Delete
  4. I've never really gotten the hang of using eyeliner and I'm not sure if 50 is too old to go with a winged eyeliner, but I may give it a try just for the heck of it. It does look cute! #SITSSharefest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way 50 is too old for winged eyeliner!!! Worst case scenario, you try it, don't like it and take the eyeliner right off!

      Delete
  5. You look gorgeous and I love your makeup look! You make it sound so easy to get perfect wings every time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It totally is! Let me know if you give the method a try : )

      Delete
  6. Nice tutorial. I don't like liquid eyeliners either and use mostly pencils. Thanks for sharing on Merry Monday linky party.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your story!