Wednesday, February 12, 2014

How I Learned About True Love vs. Infatuation

Note from Megan: In honor of Valentine's Day week, I am sharing how love has affected many facets of my life. It's my Learning About Love series.


Don't miss the first installment: Bullies and Beauty, Learning to Love Myself. 
And the second: For the LOVE of Food!

Today's Learning About Love lesson has to do with a pastor and a broken heart. The pastor is the man on the left in my photo, Jason. He is one of the people I admire most in the world. The broken heart belonged to me my freshman year of college.

How did I get a broken heart? Well, it had to do with a boy named Jared (my now-husband!) of course. Jared and I met our freshman year in 2006 at Texas Tech's Welcome Week. We semi-dated, but Jared did not return my affections at the time. And that's ok, folks! It all worked out in the end. But because of my one-sided feelings for Jared, I went home the summer of 2007 with a deeply broken heart.

You see, I thought I loved Jared. I couldn't think about anyone else when he was around. I couldn't understand how such strong feelings wouldn't be reciprocated by the man I loved. I had a lot to learn.

That summer, I did an internship with the children's ministry at First Baptist Church of Boerne where Jason was an associate youth pastor. The children's minister reached out to Jason and asked him to take me under his wing. I think she knew I was lonely. Jason invited me to Bible Study with the youth group at his house.

I was leery of participating at first. I had absolutely no friends in Boerne. The people my age showed zero interest in me, even when I tried to befriend them. My first impression of the youth group occurred when the head pastor's daughter publicly shunned me when I introduced myself to her. Needless to say, I was nervous.

But Jason and his beautiful wife Mindy made sure I was included in the group. Jason would ask me questions in the large group and Mindy would include me in small group discussions. I don't think they realize how grateful I am for the love they showed me that summer.

Because of Jason and Mindy's example, I learned what true love looked like. True love ministers to all people without any thought of return. True love makes you want to be a better person instead of making you want to die. And most importantly, true love doesn't make you suffer. It makes you sacrifice. If I truly loved Jared like I thought I did, I would have to let him go if he wanted to leave. I needed to sacrifice my self-interest and let him be happy with whomever he chose.

Over the course of time, Jared realized his mistake (duh!) and here we are almost three years later. But I never forgot the lesson Jason and his wife Mindy taught me. When it came time to pick the pastor for my wedding, I knew it had to be Jason.

To Jason: thank you for the love you showed me in a very difficult time. You have truly made a difference to me and the outcome of my life.


9 comments:

  1. what a great story and such an interesting lesson. such truth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was very good, and enlightening

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your story reminds me very much of when I first moved to America back in 2008 to start college--that was such a rough time, because I was brand new and felt like everyone else already had their friends! But I started going to a Bible study where the leaders took me under their wings and truly loved me--and it turned into a joyful season of life! What a blessing to know love like that during rough times!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,

      Thank you for sharing! It's amazing the love God shows you through other people.

      Delete
  4. That's beautiful and very true - if you try to cling to someone its just called desperation and that's note cute. Glad he came back :) Have a great one Megan! -Iva

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad we have to go thru the rough patches to get to the good stuff. Guess that make us appreciate it all the more tho!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great story and lesson learned. It's true that sometimes you have to let someone go, and if its truly meant to be, they will come back! #SITSBlogging

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your story!