Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Happy Six Month(ish) Blogversary!


I started this blog on July 25, 2013.

I'm about a month off (whoops), but I wanted to commemorate my six month blogversary today. I have learned so much in the process of creating The Walker Fireside Chats, so I thought I would share for any bloggers who are new to the scene:

What are your Blog Goals?

The first thing you should do when starting a blog is decide what you want. Do you want to make money? Do you want to share expertise you have in certain areas such as beauty or food? Having this goal is important because it decides how you will create a successful blog.

My goal as a blogger is to connect with people and grow my membership.

Find a Blogger Mentor

I was inspired by Elle Sees to start a blog in the first place because I so admired how she helped people. I actually emailed her to ask advice for starting a blog!

After I got mine off the ground, I read other blogs in my genre to get ideas. I'll be honest: my blog looked TERRIBLE when I first started it. The template said nothing about me. I had no way for readers to connect with me or learn more about me. What did I glean from other blogs?

- Adding social media buttons
- BE YOURSELF! Don't be so formal
- Add a "Popular Post" widget
- Use social media to promote your blog
- Use LOTS of pictures to illustrate your posts
- WATERMARK those pictures so you get credit!

Plus more!

Research

If I couldn't figure out how to do something on my blog, I Googled it. There are numerous online resources  to teach you how to add social media buttons, widgets and more. I have also learned some basic HTML coding through this blog, which is really exciting!

Network

This is probably the most important thing I have learned. One of the main joys of blogging is the community you stumble into. I have met so many wonderful, creative, hilarious people through this blog, and it's only been open six(ish) months!

How do you network? Social media is a big one, particularly Twitter (stay tuned for a post about this tomorrow!). I also found a blog support site called The SITSGirls which has lots of tutorials, plus a Post Sharefest on Saturday mornings where you can meet lots of other bloggers.

What have you learned as a blogger or blog reader? Share below!

 

TTU Signature

5 comments:

  1. Happy 6 months and some! Figuring out a good blog design is the hardest part for me, while writing is definitely the easiest part! Networking definitely plays a huge role in blogging, and that can be so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this made my day!! congrats on 6 months--here's to many, many more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 6 months! I have only been blogging a short time as well so I loved reading about what you have learned. I have been trying to decide if I should re-do my blog design soon and also need to start watermarking my pictures. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work, Megan!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your story!