Monday, January 13, 2014

Cooking Inspiration from an Unexpected Place...

I don't know about you guys, but getting recipes out of magazines has always been a hit or miss for me. Some are really good and some are downright awful. Recently, I started reading a publication called Grit Magazine thanks to my free subscription through my local library. Grit Magazine is a bimonthly publication about life in rural America. I normally don't read such things since I am not a rural girl by any means, but I chose to read it once because it had a picture of a calf on the front cover. What can I say, I'm a sucker for baby animals.

It turned out to be a fortuitous choice because now I LOVE Grit Magazine. I look forward to it every two months. I like the articles about raising a garden (which I might do someday if I ever have a place to put it...) and sections where elderly people can request pen pals. Cute, right?

My favorite part of Grit Magazine, however, is the recipes. Everything I have tried (which is, at this point, three recipes haha) has been excellent. Recently, I tried Asian Shrimp Stir Fry and Asparagus Pesto. The verdict on both: YUM. I switched out the shrimp in the stir fry for skirt steak because I don't really like shrimp (I attribute this to some shrimp I cooked poorly one time. Left a bad taste in my mouth). The Asparagus Pesto was delicious over pasta. I added a little more lemon than called for to give it extra brightness.

Try some Grit Magazine recipes and let me know what you think!