Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Hair Hall of Fame

Just like makeup, I am always fascinated to see what products people use on their hair. I have had a love/hate relationship with my hair ever since I hit puberty (TMI? Sorry, just keepin' it real!), so I learned through trial and error what works best for me.

My hair is thick and coarse with a slight natural wave to it. Keep in mind if your hair texture is not the same or similar, these products may not work the same way for you. With that disclaimer in mind, enjoy the Hair Hall of Fame!


Hair Hall of Fame

1. L'Oreal Elnett Satin Hairspray - I avoided using hairspray for a long time because I hated how crunchy it made my hair. But when I started curling my hair, I didn't really have an option anymore.

I read about this particular hairspray in a beauty magazine and I am now a believer! The canister emits a fine, consistent spray, which lets you apply it evenly. No crunchiness! The product disappears if you brush your hair, yet it still holds the style. One tip: buy the unscented version, because the type with scent can be extremely overpowering!

2. Redken All Soft Shampoo and Conditioner - beauty magazines will tell you all shampoos/conditioners are created equal. This is not the case, especially for someone with coarse hair like me. I've used Pantene, Dove, Herbal Essence and most of the other drugstore shampoos/conditioners in my life, and none of them gave me the results this brand does.

Again, I first read about Redken All Soft in a magazine and used my birthday money to buy a set. HOLY MOLY. I will never go back. It cleanses my hair, yet leaves it beautifully soft. Redken can be pricey, so I save loads of money by buying the liters and dispensing them into the smaller bottles. You can get killer deals on liters at Ulta or even Walmart. I rarely buy shampoo/conditioner more than once a year, and I have a LOT of hair, so this strategy helps me afford this "holy grail" product.

3. Paul Mitchell Pro Tools Express Ion Style Flat Iron - most people who use flat irons have their favorite brand, and this one is mine. I used a CHI iron for many years, but my hairdresser converted me to this one. Why? Several reasons. First, the PM iron has temperature control which allows you to raise or lower the temperature based on what you are doing to your hair. It also holds the temperature consistently, which is important for minimal damage to your hair.

Second, the plates have thin silicone pads which pass over your hair with every stroke, keeping your hair smoother and shinier. And finally, this straightener is sturdy. I have had it for over a year and dropped it on several occasions, yet it is still going strong. I have used cheap irons in the past, and they do NOT last. They also tend to damage your hair more. It is worth it to invest in a better iron, I promise.

4. CHI Iron Guard - even though I switched from their irons, I love this heat protectant spray. It is easy to apply the product evenly and it does NOT gunk up my iron, which is very important. I also notice my hair is less damaged when I use it.

That's it!  

What products are in your Hair Hall of Fame?


1 comment:

  1. I love the "It's A 10" leave in conditioner. It has completely changed my hair!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your story!