Thursday, November 7, 2013

My DIY Table Redo

As you know from this post and this post, I am in the process of learning how to DIY. The process is challenging, but rewarding after you see what you can make with some fabric and a staple gun!

After my ottoman and chairs, my next project was the table in my living room. My in-laws generously donated the table and chairs to Jared and I when we moved into our apartment. The table and chairs were actually the first pieces of furniture my in-laws bought when they first got married, so the set holds some sentimental value. Sadly, as you remember from the chairs, the set is not very...modern (nice way of saying it's ugly).

The table was no exception.


Here's a picture from my birthday in January where you can see me A) pose with my new Le Creuset pot (thanks mom and dad!) and B) stand next to a table with what looks like swirls of vomit on top of it. There's no vomit, it's just the table.


After doing the chairs, something had to be done with the table. Unfortunately, the top is laminate, so there is no sanding or painting it like you can wood or veneer. I wanted to spice up that corner of the living room with more color and print, so my first thought was to cover it with fabric.


But not just any fabric. As we have established, I am clumsy. I require easily cleaned surfaces. The most easily cleaned fabric I could think of was oilcloth, or fabric with plastic soaked into its surface. After doing some research, there were a lot of scary articles online about how oilcloth is a death sentence because it's soaked in BPA blah blah blah. It's also kind of expensive. So in researching another option, I stumbled upon laminated cotton. It's essentially the same thing as oilcloth, just more pliable and less chemicals.

The next challenge was how to affix the laminated cotton to the table. I didn't want it slipping around. After looking at Pinterest, the mecca for all things DIY, I found this article which recommended that magical substance called Mod Podge. Pinners rant and rave about this stuff, but I have never used it before. Apparently it makes surfaces you never thought possible stick together. 

After developing my plan, it came time to gather materials.

Etsy became my source for super cute laminated cotton. I ordered this fabric because of the mustard yellow color and the beautiful print. If you are interested in laminated cotton for a project, this lady has great selection! She also shipped my order the same day I placed it, so my fabric came super fast. I am terrible at estimating numbers, including how much fabric I need. I measured my table, but it was hard to know exactly how much I needed since it is round. Fortunately, a yard and a half BARELY ( and I mean barely) did the job. I also got some Mod Podge, of course.

After receiving my fabric, I cleaned the table top very well (thanks Lubbock dust for coating everything in my house. Boo) and applied a thin coat of Mod Podge. The stuff dries fast, so I worked quickly. After centering my fabric, I stuck it to the table top and smoothed it down with my hands and a random Starbucks gift card I had lying around. After giving the table sufficient time to dry, I turned it over and started stapling the fabric to the underside of the table so it would cover the edges of table top.

Covering a round object is kind of tricky, but I managed to manipulate the fabric so it worked. I only had to pull out one staple to correct a mistake, so I thought it went pretty well. It took a lot of staples to keep the fabric smooth, but oh well, that's what they are for! After trimming the excess fabric, here is my table:


Love it! The new table top looks rockin' with my chairs. It was also much cheaper (and more colorful) than buying a new table! Now the set my in-laws gave us can have a new, more stylish life with another newly married couple.