Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Jared Filed a DIY Request

Remember my DIY table redo?

If you recall from this picture, the wall to the right of the new table and chairs was a sad, blank apartment wall.


Now that the table and chairs are redone, the wall looks especially sad.

To my surprise, Jared filed a DIY request with me this past weekend: make something to spruce up that wall. I was so excited he likes the impact of my DIY work, I got started right away.


First, I had to decide what to do. Last Christmas, I made a piece of artwork for my Christmas decor inspired by this post I found on Pinterest. The final product turned out great, but unfortunately it was a casualty of my red sauce fiasco. The canvas was essentially ruined by sauce splatters, but I couldn't bring myself to throw it away. When I almost got up the courage one time, Jared encouraged me to keep it. You never know what you can do with a canvas. So the piece has sat ruined behind the couch in our bedroom for many months. This weekend, I pulled it out so I could restore it to glory.

The sauce splatters would not come out completely, so traditional paint would not work. I needed a cover-up method. So I pulled out the extra fabric from my DIY ottoman to pull a new color/print into that corner of the room and stapled it around the canvas. Again, the wonders you can pull off with a staple gun!

I thought about making a fabric collage out of my other fabric scraps, but I just couldn't get it to look right. Then I remembered this post I found (again) on Pinterest. I loved the hand-written quality of the "love" on the pillow. Why not do that myself on the covered canvas? So I got out my extra fabric from the chairs (notice I have a lot of extra fabric. Call it a product of not being able to estimate numbers correctly). I drew the word "love" on a piece of computer paper in cursive, cut it out and pinned it onto a scrap of fabric. Then I cut the word "love" out of the fabric and glued it with Unique Stitch to the canvas. As a finishing touch, I got a scrap of fabric leftover from the table (not as much available, here), cut out a heart and glued it to the canvas. Voila!


Now, I am the first to admit the canvas is a little hard to read. But I am fascinated with combining different colors and prints, and I think these go reasonably well together in an art piece. I thought about re-doing it, but Jared loved it, so I kept it as-is.

The wall still looked a little sad with just the canvas, so I collected some pieces from around my house to finish the gallery wall: a picture of Jared and I from Easter when we were dating and a cross my mother-in-law gave us as a housewarming gift.



Now, I think I just need something metallic to go under the canvas. I don't have anything like that, so I will have to find it eventually. But in the meantime, I love how it turned out! Our apartment feels more homey every day.