Wednesday, September 11, 2013

My IPod's IHOP Adventure

Photo Credit
Every couple has a "place", and during college, Jared and I enjoyed a lot of time in an IHOP close to campus. We loved the food and the kind people who worked there. We went at least once a week for a couple of years, to the point where some of the waitresses knew us by name and what we liked to order. I have many great memories in that place and only one poor one: the time my IPod decided to take a trip.

One evening, Jared and I had dinner at IHOP. I usually carried my IPod in my purse so I could use it in the car whenever we were travelling. Unfortunately, my IPod fell out of my purse onto the booth. I didn't realize this until later that evening when I got home. I originally wasn't worried, especially since we knew the waitress who had served us. I figured she would find the IPod and save it for me so I could pick it up the next day. Uh, wrong.

I went the next day to get my IPod, but it was not there. The waitress said she had put it in a drawer beneath the cash register where they normally put lost items, but it was not there. I was very disturbed, especially since a theft occurred right under their cash register! The waitress said she would speak to her manager about it and took my information so they could call me. I also told them my IPod was unique because it had an engraving on the back.

A few days later, I got a call from the manager. She took me into the upstairs office where she showed me the video footage from when the IPod had disappeared. Apparently, an employee took it out of the drawer and passed it to another employee, who carried it out the door. I was shocked to see such blatant theft. Didn't they know there was a camera right over their heads??? The manager promised she would fire the dishonest employees and get the IPod back for me.

A week later, I had not heard anything about the IPod. I called the manager and she said the employees had not brought it back, but she planned to personally go to their house and get it for me. The next day, I had my IPod back! The thief had wiped my music off the device and changed the name, but it was still intact. I was so grateful there was an engraving on the back, because it proved without a doubt the IPod was mine.

Jared and I do not go to IHOP as much any more, but every time I walk inside, I remember my IHOP and the wonderful staff who helped return my property. I have eaten at many other IHOPs, but none have been nearly as good as mine!