Sunday, August 18, 2013

I Don't Run

Photo Credit
Photo Credit

Seriously, though. If there's a zombie apocalypse, I'll probably be an early casualty.

I didn't always have animosity towards running. In middle school, I actually joined the track team. I originally decided to do it because I wanted to do long jump, but during try outs, I jumped wrong and rolled my ankle a little bit. Consequently, my jump was not good enough to get me onto the long jump team. Since it was middle school and the track team took anyone who tried out, I got put in the middle distance group. At my school, the middle distance group was comprised of the losers who didn't have enough speed to do the short distance and didn't have enough endurance to do the long distance. We were the misfits.

Middle distance turned out to be a lot more difficult than I imagined. You had to maintain a high speed for a torturous amount of time, something I did not have the ability to do. I dreaded track meets because even with conditioning, I could barely keep up with the group. I almost cried after every race.

The final straw occurred when my Papa, my mom's father, attended one of my races. Papa was a very diplomatic, quiet man, and he always had encouraging words for his grandchildren. I ran my race and afterwards, Papa didn't have one encouraging word to say! He said, "well Megan Gayle, you did your best". I was so embarrassed, I swore I would never run again. It's bad when your Papa can't even tell you "good job"!

After that fateful race, I started sabotaging myself during practice. I would pretend to get hurt or go extra slow so my coach wouldn't put me in races. When the track season ended, I was so relieved. And I haven't run since. It is very ironic both my brother and sister have had great success in running cross country and track, but apparently that gene did not get passed to me. Many people I know have "running a marathon" on their bucket list, and that is a very worthy goal. But my bucket list will never include running a marathon. Oh well! We are not all meant to succeed at everything.