Sunday, August 4, 2013

My Husband will be a Great ER Doctor

When my husband Jared first told me he wanted to be an ER doctor, I thought this was a great idea. Jared is so calm under pressure. He also has the ability to think clearly in stressful situations, unlike someone else I might now...ahem. Anyway, as I said, I thought this was a great idea from the beginning, but a recent experience confirmed without a doubt how good Jared will be as an ER doctor.

A few weeks ago, Jared and I were visiting my parents in Houston. I have a cartilage piercing (more about it in a later post! Good story) on my left ear, and sometimes it unfortunately gets me into trouble. One morning, Jared reached over to give me a hug and his arm got caught on my piercing. A searing pain tore through my body...and then I felt the blood. I had no idea your ear could bleed so profusely! I started screaming and crying, mostly in disbelief I was bleeding so much.

Jared calmly grabbed my arm and said, "let's go in the bathroom." He took me in there and said, "OK, sit here." Remember of course I am being hysterical this whole time.

Jared calmly cleaned my ear and got me some Tylenol to take. At the time I did not appreciate his demeanor because I was a little busy crying, but looking back, I was very impressed. If he can be so calm when a family member is freaking out, imagine how well he could handle someone else's hysteria! I am so proud of Jared and his chosen profession. I think he will be a great ER doctor.

BONUS!

Yesterday, Jared and I attended a wedding for one of my former coworker's daughters. The ceremony was such a great reminder of the beauty of marriage. One of the readings really touched my heart, so I wanted to share it with all of you. It is called "Benediction of the Apaches" and you can read more about it here.

Now you will feel no rain,
For each of you will be shelter to the other.
Now you will feel no cold,
For each of you will be warmth to the other.
Now there is no more loneliness for you,
For each of you will be companion to the other.
Now you are two bodies,
But there is only one Life before you.
Go now to your dwelling place
To enter into the days of your togetherness.
And may your days be good and long upon the earth.